Thursday, June 19, 2008

DRUM! Nova Scotia (Part 1 of 2)

TrevorOver the past couple of months, I've been involved in the makings of two Gathering Chants with the amazing artists from DRUM! Thanks to Trevor my instructor (featured in full dress in the image on the right), I've learned to keep the beat Mi'kmaq style.

I think the DRUM! website says it best: "DRUM! is a spectacular musical event featuring four of Nova Scotia's principal cultures: Aboriginal, Black, Celtic and Acadian in a heart-pumping fusion of music, dance, rhythm and song."

Karen and JazmineWhat an awesome experience it was for my friend Karen and me to create the pulse for our chant with teams of people gathered around, and beating on, big Mi'kmaq drums. All the while, we were belting out the Mi'kmaq lyrics. Suffice it to say, we got goose bumps. Thanks go to my friend Lang for taking this action shot of us.

After my participation in these Gathering Chants, featuring performances from artists in all four cultures, I can't wait to check out one of the DRUM! performances held throughout the fall across Nova Scotia.

No comments: